Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Charly, the Other Palmer



In 2008 I first learned about an artist named Charly Palmer. An artist told me when he seen my work on the Internet, and thought I was him. Being that we both were in the Atlanta area, it was suggested to me, that maybe I should change my artist name, to avoid a lot of confusion. I was like, I’m not changing my name for no one. I found him on www.charlypalmer.com and my jaw dropped. Soon I ended up changing my artist name from Cpalmer to CP the Artist, which I liked alot better.



Charly’s Art, to me is symbolizes artistic expression, but the work is made by a Guru and a Historic Scholar with a paint brush. It was told to me, he once opened up a Black History book, visualized the history and then painted the whole thing as a series. Amazing! The execution of colors and textures brings his creations to life, to say the least.







About 1 year later, I had heard he wanted to meet me. Finally we met at the Stuart McClean art Gallery in Atlanta for “Hell-up in Hotlanta - Art Battle”. He was a tall, bald, and gray beard black man in his late 40’s. Before he was able to say anything to me, I looked him in the eye and said “Dad, I finally found you!” As we joked and laughed, I am wondering if we need to get a DNA test, so I can collect backed Child Support payments.



There’s not a painting I’ve seen from him, that I haven’t been amazed at.
Charly has been a mentor and friend of mine. But most importantly a great inspiration.

2 comments: